.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sheep Blanket Finished!














I finished the sheep blanket (finally)! I like the final outcome, and I'm glad I decided to line the back, because it looks so much better. The smartest thing I did was to hand sew the lining while the blanket was still pinned to the blocking board; it was so much easier that way, since I'm not known for my sewing abilities. I simply cut the fabric to within a quarter inch of the knitted edge, turned under the fabric and whip stitched it along each side.

To my surprise, I used the entire spool of cotton yarn two rows before the end of the blanket! (insert: "panic attack"). Well, that called for some improvising: I had to bind off one row short of the required seed stitch rows. This also meant there was not enough yarn to make the pom-poms, so I used the Berroco "Plush" yarn for the pom-poms. With only white or black to choose from, I chose the black, since this is a gift for a baby boy. In the end I think it turned out great. I can't wait to gift this to my friend. Again, the pattern is from the Fall 2004 issue of Family Circle Easy Knitting.

(I apologize for the unfocused images, I'm still not up and running 100% with all of my programs since the hard drive crash....... )

11 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Blogger Ruth said...

sorry to hear about your hard drive crash - that can be frustrating, getting everything back and running. but your sheep blanket looks SO adorable!! i love how each sheep is facing a different direction. your friend is lucky to have such a great gift!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful blanket. Love the lining too.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Debbie said...

It's stunning!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger StarKnits said...

love it! where'd you get the pattern! i think you did awesome!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger StarKnits said...

love it! where'd you get the pattern! i think you did awesome!

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It turned out beautiflly! I love the gingham backing, it's a good match and an excellent choice. Nice work.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Nik said...

I've decided to make this blanket for a co-worker who's wife is pregnant. I'm going to go buy the fuzzy yarn for the sheep on tonight.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy! It's beautiful. I love the choice of fabric for the back; what a nice way to hide those little intarsia bits. I haven't started mine yet, alas. This lil bit keeps me busybusybusy, night n day! :) Hope to run into you here and there soon! --Ceci (eek, I've forgotten my password...)

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Hi, I just wandered onto your blog from the Christian knitting webring and I love this sheep blanket...where can I find the pattern?

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Judy, the blanket is AMAZING!!! I love it and am glad to hear that running out of yarn didn't cause any major problems. I would be interested in learning more about how you sewed on the lining. I've never sewed anything to my knitting, but a backing for a baby blanket would be great.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Carmell said...

that is the cutest baby blanket!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home