What a Difference a Weekend Makes

Last weekend I went home to So. Florida to celebrate with my family the 22nd year of my father's pastorate at our home church. What a difference one weekend can make. Last weekend was all about celebrating with family and friends, with a formal banquet of about 100 attendees held in my father's honor at the Sheraton, complete with good food and entertainment. The weather was typical: warm and muggy.
This weekend in So. Florida, my family and friends are feeling the effects of Hurricane Katrina. With winds around 100mph, and rainfall up to 18 inches, Katrina left behind 7 dead, downed trees, structural damage and power outages for a million people. My family members have not had electricity since Thursday night! Now warm and muggy is unbearable. My sister told me she actually felt guilty praying for the electricity to be restored, considering others have lost their lives and have experienced damage to their personal property. This is a time of remembering those who have suffered loss, and a time to pray for those who await another landfall of this hurricane, which has gained in strength.
This is "Sister Rubabella Kingdom", my sister's comedic character. She made a guest appearance at the banquet and entertained us to the point of hysterical laughter! She portrays a super-devoted Christian woman, whose total existence is to please God and to prove to her pastor that no one is more "saved" than she!Note her attire. She told us that she had just gotten off of an airplane and rushed right over to the banquet hall without stopping to change into her finest dress because she didn't want to miss one minute of the celebration. After all, she had a special gift for the pastor. She wanted to present to him something that she herself had found to be a blessing - - a symbol of the fact that Jesus was always on her mind: a forehead cross embellishment!! Yes, Sister Rubabella is not only over the top, but a little tacky as well! She created uncontrollable belly laughs as she bopped over to the head table to stick a big, blue, glittery cross to our father's forehead. And don't you know, he wore it with pride for the rest of the evening!
My Parents





3 Comments:
God has blessed you with a wonderful family.
I was in Georgetown on Saturday and was able to make the short trip to The Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe. Looked for you there...just in case. Enjoyed the shop very much.
You have such a beautiful family. Your sister looks like a hoot. I know people like Sister Rubabella Kingdom from my own church, so I know it had to be funny.
I'm thinking of making the sheep afghan for a co-worker. I hope mine is as cute as yours ;)
Hi Judy-
re: your comment on my blog, City Knitting is unfortunately not in AUstin--I've moved to Michigan, and it's opeing in my new city.
I hope your family continues to be well in the aftereffects of the hurricane...
Ashley
Post a Comment
<< Home