Purse Workshop
I signed up for a 3 day workshop on "Designing Your Own Felted Bag" at Bluebonnet Yarn Shop. The instructor, Nora, is a mega-talented fiber artist, and her bag designs are beautiful. Check out her website and see for yourself. In the first class each of us had to come up with a design, draw it out on paper and then discuss the method of construction. I couldn't believe how many ways there were to construct one bag! She then helped us determine the gauge and convert the size of our bags to the amount of cast-on stitches, taking into effect how much the bag will shrink once felted. We discussed where to decrease and increase to get the desired shape. She helped us choose colors and stitch variations to give texture to make the bags unique. It was the best two hours on the subject of knitting I've had in a long time. I can't wait until the second class.
My bag design will incorporate using a wooden dowel for a handle, and my colors will be chocolate brown, yellow and pink!





4 Comments:
That sounds like a great class! Can't wait to see how your design turns out.
Judy, unfortunately, I am in Bakersfield California, very far away from where you live... If I were closer, of course I would love to take this class. It sounds like so much fun... Maybe you can share your notes with me... There is a national Knitting conference in Okland in about two weeks. I really want to go to attend a designing workshop... but I am still not sure if I am going to be able to make it...
Share your felting and designing tips with us in your blog...
I wish I lived closer to you...
Take care,
Marlene
Sounds like a fun class. Can't wait to see your purse. I am taking a spindle spinning class at Hill Country in August. It will be my first fiber class ever.
wow, your instructor nora has a great website! i agree with Marlene - too bad i'm not in town to take that class either! your yarn colors look yummy and your design is very cute!! can't wait to see the end result.
Post a Comment
<< Home