.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Paper & Pencil

Well, we all survived Election Day 2006. I decided to go vote after work yesterday, and OMG the line was crazy long! There were at least 100 of us standing outside in a line down the sidewalk waiting to get into the building. I was in line for approximately 40 minutes, thank God it was a beautiful, cool evening. What if it had been raining or snowing? Once inside the building, I waited again for another 20-25 minutes and finally reached the desk to receive my ballot. I was told to "get a ballot and a pencil and have a seat at one of the next available desks!!" There were only about ten desks, first of all. And a PENCIL?? Here I was all poised to try out one of those new electronic voting machines I've heard so much about, and I got a PENCIL?? TEN desks?? Wow, I was shocked, to say the least. All in all, it took about a hour and ten minutes to vote, and when I walked out at 7:10 pm, there were at least another 100 people still waiting in line outside! This morning I heard stories of people in my city that had to wait hours in line before they could vote, so I should consider myself lucky, I guess. Well, my vote was cast, and I guess that's all that matters.

5 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!! what a long line! it sounds like they could have used more voting poll stations!! here, most of us opt to do absentee voting so we don't have to stand in line. but of course, hubby and i wait til the last minute to fill out our ballots, so it was too late to mail them out, i just walked to my nearest voting poll station and turned it in. =P

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger The MacKay Way said...

Good on ya! Voting is important!!
I hope you're as pleased with the results as I am!

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you voted. Next time you might consider early voting. The polls in Texas are open for several weeks before election day so you can vote at your convenience and there's not usually a line (at least not like you had on election day).

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to do early voting, I got the schedule, but because I live in one county and work in another and the early voting schedule in my home county kept the same hours as my job, it just didn't work out. I arrived at my precinct polling place, the fire station around the corner, on Tuesday morning at 7:15. The line was about 20 folks. I heard someone exclaim as they joined the line that they never saw such a long line at this location before. What they need to do is have election day on a weekend, more people would show up. We had paper ballots too, in fact, I've never voted on a machine. I think paper is easier for everyone to use and easier to count too.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wow...that is a long time to wait in line to vote. We had elections here not too long ago as well (last month I think...or was it September) but we went to vote in the late afternoon. I figured there'd be a lot of people and we'd have a bit of waiting, but really I think there was only one person voting in our line, and we were next. There might have been a couple of other people there as well (at other desks). I think we hit it at a good time though...if we had gone later in the evening after people got off work, there would probably have been big lines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home