.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Finished Crocheted Shrug

Pattern: Leisure Arts #4357
Yarn: Classic Elite "Imagine" in color #9202
Crochet Hook size: D

This is the finished crocheted shrug. I think it came out really nice, despite a last minute snafu. I made the sleeves and body a couple of rows longer, because the recipient (my DD), is tall with long arms. I used eleven 50 gram balls of the yarn, which sent me back to my lys twice! The first time I went back, I bought two more balls thinking it would be enough, but to my surprise and with only half a sleeve to go, I ran out again. So yesterday I went back and asked for more, only to be told there was no more in my colorway!!!!! Of course my jaw dropped opened and my eyes bugged with a blank stare. Not wanting to believe it, I searched on my own, only to find nothing in my colorway. Feeling that sinking feeling, I pitifully asked "what do I do now?" My intent was to gift this later that day at the birthday bash. There were several suggestions by some of the ladies in the store, each feeling a bit sorry for me, and we collectively came up with the idea of making the sleeves a 3/4 length instead. Well, that meant I had to frog the 1 1/2 sleeves back to the lace cuff, since the cuff was made for the wrist, and not the forearm. So I came to terms with the fact that this gift would just have to be presented the day after the party, and the frogging party began right then and there using the store ball winder. When I finished, I bid my farewells and was gathering my things to go home to get busy crocheting the sleeves. It was then that I heard the owner, who was standing in front of a nearby display of yarn, let out a squeal of shock and surprise. I looked over at her and she had that same look on her face that I had earlier: mouth wide open, eyes bugged, complete with a blank stare. I followed her gaze, and yes, she was staring down at the very yarn I needed in my colorway!! Three balls of it, no less. Apparently, a small collection of Classic Elite "Imagine" was put on an adjacent display and no one saw it. Feeling like I wanted to collapse, I asked myself over and over, "Why do things like this happen to me??!!" I bought all three balls and decided to make the sleeves full length as planned. At this point I had the sympathy of everyone in the store. So I seized the moment, and asked the owner for her help, since she knew how to crochet and felt my pain (or was it guilt that she was feeling?) Thanks goodness I knew her well enough to do that, and without hesitating, she sat down next to me and proceeded to crochet a sleeve while I worked on the other one! We switched at different intervals, so our tensions would be somewhat blended throughout the length of the sleeves. When she had to attend to a customer, Sue Ann jumped in and crocheted in her place! It was hilarious! When I left to attend the party, I had two sleeves that were half way done, and I was grateful. I was able to gift the completed shrug the next day and my DD loved it. So all ended well, and I want to thank Pat and Sue Ann at the Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe for going above and beyond to help me in my time of crisis!

6 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy, the shrug really turned out great!

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Judy,
My head was spinning just reading about your ordeal. You should be proud, it turned out beautiful.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really cute! Especially with that orange shirt - great combo. I think it would have been fine with 3/4 sleeves too. I bet she loved it.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Erica Bunker said...

It turned out so pretty! You did a fabulous job!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy, this project is incredibly beautiful and what a story to go along with it. Happy crocheting and knitting!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Suna Kendall said...

I know I am late chiming in, but I am so glad this got finished, and was happy to help out. What an ordeal!!

Sue Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home