.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, February 09, 2007

Birthday Scarf

Pattern: "One-Skein Scarf" from The Happy Hooker
Yarn: TLC 'Amore'
Hook: size I

This is a birthday scarf that I made for a 6 year old friend of the family. Happy Birthday, Katharine! Since her favorite color is red, the only thinking I had to do was to choose a pattern and a ball of yarn from my stash. I chose this pattern because I knew the worsted weight yarn and a size I hook would mean this would be a quick project. I was right. I finished it in one evening.

I wanted to add a little "bling-bling" at the ends, and my first thought was to add pom-poms, since little girls love them. But then I remembered that she had a two year old brother who would probably just love to get his little hands on them and pull them apart. So I came up with the idea of a simple flower at each end. I think it added the whimsy I was looking for.

The scarf pattern is super, duper easy, and I would recommend it as a beginning crochet project. I modified the pattern by adding one extra row of double-crochet to give it more width, before doing the scalloped edge.

Now, let's talk about the yarn of choice - - I don't recommend it for a crocheted project!!! Bascially this yarn is heck to work with. It's fuzzy like chenille, but thinner, and it splits. It's hard to see the actual crochet stitches, so I did most of the crocheting by feel, occasionally catching myself making two stitches in one!! Crocheting-by-feel...... folks, it was a first!

Let's just say, I was glad when I came to the desired 40" length and tied off that last stitch! But we have a scarf, and I hope my little friend likes it. My next project is to make her little baby sister, all of maybe two weeks old, a bonnet & bootie set.

3 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

This is so cute! Love the addition of the flowers. You give the best gifts.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The scarf looks great, and I just love the flowers you added to the ends! I'm sure she's going to love it!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I just adore your work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home