.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's a New Year, right?

Since it's a new year and all........I thought I would make something for myself! Julia, if this announcement makes you light-headed or takes your breath away, just have a seat, you'll feel better in a minute! (She knows I never make anything for myself.) I think the last time I made myself anything was about ten months ago, when I made this scarf. The story is, I bought a sleeveless, two-peice silk skirt set a while back, and my bare arms always catch a chill whenever I wear it. So, I have decided to make a shawl! (I'm shaking with fear even as I type!) I'm nervous because the scarf was my first lace project and it nearly drove me mad! My second lace project was the photo mat, and it went so well, I now feel I'm ready for something BIG and lacy. I bought the yarn, which is a perfect match to the skirt set ("peppermint" pink of course.) I then began a search for the perfect shawl for "me." I didn't want to make a "frumpy" looking shawl, nor embarass my 17 year old son when I wear it, after he made the statement, "why would anyone want to wear a blanket around their shoulders?" So I searched and searched and after looking high and low, I have decided to make this shawl! The pattern is from the book, "Accessorize" by Vogue Knitting. It is another most awesome book in my collection; there are many projects I would like to make in this book. Okay, for you experts at knitting lace, I have a question: the pattern
calls for "GGH/Meunch Yarns Mystik. Is the Alpaca Cloud a good substitute? The GGH/Meunch yarn is 54% Baumwolle and 46% Viskose (rayon) and the Alpaca Cloud is 100% baby alpaca. My thought is the rayon content would make this shawl a little more sturdy, I wonder if it will hold up better? But it's not like I'm going to wear it that much, just occasionally. What do you think girls?

4 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Well, I don't knit lace...yet, but I think that shawl is gorgeous. Hope you'll post some pics of the one you finish!

 
At 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a gorgeous shawl. I think gauge may help you decide, but since shawl size isn't as big a deal, you might want to make a couple of swatches using different needle sizes. I think the rule is 2 sizes up from the recommended size on the skein. Block you swatch agressively and see if you like it. The alpaca will have the same drape as the cotton/rayon, but be much lighter in weight. I think it will be just fine. There is a lace yahoo group, if you want, I'll send you their addy.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Beautiful...not frumpy at all!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

oooh, i love that shawl!! i'm still struggling with my own lace shawl (mohair frustrations!) but i have heard wonderful things about that alpaca cloud. it looks like mystik is DK weight and alpaca cloud may be lace/fingerling, but beyond a slight gauge difference, i don't think it should be much of a problem. both will have a wonderful drape to it. let us know what you eventually decide... i would love to see how this lovely shawl knits up! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home